Photos by Madelyn Oliver
“Us Michiganders are all kind of in on this big secret called “Up North”. In the summer months, just about ever family in lower Michigan packs up, heads north, and enjoys a part of the country that not many people seem to know about. Between the Great Lakes, inland lakes, Sleeping Bear Dunes, Pictured Rocks, famous fudge, each and every one of us has something that we look forward to finding when the weather gets hot. Kid Rock even wrote a song about it.
I’m 19, and have gone every summer since I was born. By dad is 47, and has gone every summer since he was born. My grandparents are in their 70s, and have been every summer for “as long as they can remember”. There’s just something in the water that keeps us coming back.
All of these photos were taken with a Nikon N2020 and my grandpa’s AF Nikkor 35-70mm lens.”
1. Christmas Cove, Lake Michigan Coast, Northport, MI.
2. Christmas Cove, Lake Michigan Coast, Northport, MI. A.K.A. one of the best Petoskey hunting beaches in the state.
3. Fountain Point on Lake Leelanau, Leland, MI.
4. My brother, Adam, doing our favorite summer sport: wakesurfing. Everyone on the boat piles into the back corner trying to create the biggest wake possible while he surfs. Lake Leelanau, Leland, MI.
5. Fountain Point on Lake Leelanau, Leland, MI.
these are my favorite places in the world.